Sunday, October 26, 2008

Shao Bin's Biodata

Currently, I am a third year undergraduate, majoring in Chemistry in National University of Singapore (NUS). During these 3 years of my university life, I was given the opportunity to go for European Immersion Program (EURIP) todifferent parts of Germany. It was definitely a great eye-opener for me. This program provides a real-life exposure with the business opportunities associated with the chemical industry and hands-on understanding of the role of chemistry in Europe. Having such exposure, I have gained more insights of the different kinds of laboratories and industries; and exposed to people of different cultures and languages. Moreover, I also actively involved in Science Orientation Camp (SCAMP) as seniors who led and took charge of a group of freshies. It trained me to be a better leader.

I am all along very active during my years of education. Firstly, being the President of Theresian Co-op in my secondary school, it trained me to lead my team to come out with entrepreneurial ideas. I was also given the honour to attend entrepreneurial courses. Hence, this enhances my organizational and creative thinking skills.

I also participated in the Youth Expedition Programme (YEP) during my tertiary education in Polytechnic to Northern Thailand to help the children in the village to build a community center. It was indeed a different kind of experience i had; staying in rural area (village). My compassionate self allows me to help the less fortunate children who are so simple and innocent.

Lastly, I was selected to go for overseas attachment to University of Queensland, Brisbane in my last year of Polytechnic study. This allowed me to expose to different educational structure and interacted with people of different cultures. I was assigned to a researcher who work very closely on food; so I assisted him on the new discoveries. Having this experience, my time management and interpersonal skills had greatly improved and the ability to work independently.

I have great passion in Sports, especially in swimming. I also enjoy jogging, listening to music and reading. :)

4 comments:

Alicia said...

Hi Shao Bin,

The European Immersion Program (EURIP) that exposes you to different parts of Germany and the overseas attachment to University of Queensland, Brisbane that you have gone during your time in the polytechnic have truly intrigue me as a reader. I believe the invaluable lessons you have learnt during your overseas stint would aid in honing your character and sharpening your skills as a researcher.

Besides highlighting your studying experiences and interests, I believe as a reader I would also be interested in your aspirations. :)

Derek ong plays a bit of pingpong said...

Hi Shao Bin,

I thought this entry was supposed to be a hundred words so I kept mine extremely short. However, assuming I am wrong, I thought your biodata did manage to bring out some of the more engaging facts of your life.

One comment I have is that perhaps your secondary school involvement could have been left out because it was too long ago. Another would be that the fact you travelled to Germany, Thailand and Brisbane should be played up a lot more only because it shows your willingness to adapt in strange new environment and not the time management skills etc. I envy people who travel frequently and I think you would have no problems rising to any challenges that may come your way.

In all you biodata summed you up quite well. Keep your travels going!

Derek

xinyu said...

Hey Shao Bin,

It is great that your biodata highlights the different skills you have following the experience stated. This appeals to the readers that you have many experiences that have shaped you into a competent person. Also, u also added that you are sports-loving person, giving the impression that you are also fun-loving and motivated person away from work.

I also believe that you can also state your career goals or personal goals in the biodata.

r. said...

Hi Shao Bin,

impressive biodata! I see that you have a rich experience in overseas travel, visiting places like Germany, Northern Thailand and Brisbane. I believe that having such an exposure is useful not just for personal experience but also for general knowledge.

In addition, the experience from your youth expedition program must have been really great. A volunteering spirit is always a pleasant quality to have in a person.

I guess the only constructive comment that I would have for you is that you could reorganize your bio data. You could for example group your overseas experiences in to one or two paragraphs, then your work experience under another and finally others. Lastly, I guess you and I have the same problem in the sense that we greatly exceeded the 100 word limit.

r.